Marlowe Day in Canterbury
Itinerary and Ticket Details
The full itinerary for Marlowe Day 2007, which will take place on Saturday 26th May in Canterbury, is produced below.
All members of the society are welcome to attend. Tickets for the full day (lunch and lectures) are priced £15, and can be obtained by sending a cheque (payable to "The Marlowe Society") together with a SAE and your details to the Membership Secretary.
After the subsequent laying of a floral tribute, everyone will repair to the nearby Canterbury Environment Centre (previously St Alphege's) for a buffet lunch, which can be found on St Alphege Lane, just off Palace Street.
After lunch, Mike McEvoy's solo play and a discussion on book, The Man Who Was Shakespeare, will take place in the Studio Theatre at St. Mary's Hall, located on The Borough [Map].
Marlowe Day: Saturday 26th May 2007
- 10:00am onwards - Assemble at the Marlowe Theatre, Friars Street, Canterbury, CT1 2AS.
- 10:45 to 11:45 - Guided tour of the Marlowe Theatre by Eileen Booker.
- The tour will include the backstage area, a view of the present Marlowe Display (minimal), and some insight into the extensive plans for re-development of the theatre and adjacent site using lottery funding. Part of the re-design involves landscaping and the re-location of the Marlowe Memorial so that the figure of Edward Alleyn as Barabas is visible.
- 12:00 - Laying of Floral Tribute at the Marlowe Memorial, in front of the Theatre, by the Sheriff of Canterbury.
- 12:30 to 13:45 - Buffet lunch, including a glass of wine, at St Alphege Environment Centre, St Alphege Lane.
- 14:00 - An Act of Will: The Secret Life of William Shakespeare
- A solo play written and performed by Society member , in the Studio Theatre, St. Mary's Hall, The Borough.
- 15:30 - The Man Who Was Shakespeare
- On the fiftieth anniversary of Michael Frohnsdorff leads a discussion. book,
- 16:30 - Close.