Marlowe Day 2015 in Canterbury: 30th May
Programme and Booking Details
Update 23-May-2015: Please note the change of venue for both the wreath laying ceremony (now St George's Church tower) and the rest of the day's activities (now at St Augustine's).
Our Canterbury Marlowe Day 2015 will be held on Saturday 30th May, and the final full programme has now been confirmed. Attendees should assemble at St George's Church tower on St George's Street for the traditional wreath-laying ceremony at 10am, or at St Augustine's on Monastery Street by 10:30am for the remainder of the day's events.
Both members of the Society and non-members are welcome to attend. Places for the full day (including lunch and a glass of wine) are priced £20.00, and can be booked by sending a cheque (payable to "The Marlowe Society") together with your details and the required number of places, to our Treasurer, Charles Cox by Tuesday 25th May at the very latest. Alternatively payment can be made by direct/internet bank transfer or PayPal (), but please also e-mail your details and requirements to the Treasurer so that the payment when received can be matched with the application. Our bank details for transfers are specified on our Joining Page.
Marlowe Day is held in the city of Canterbury, where of course Marlowe was born, grew up, and attended the King's School. The day will begin at St George's Church tower where of course Marlowe was baptised (on St George's Street - see map) for the traditional wreath-laying ceremony, after which we will make the short walk to our venue for the remainder of the day, the King's School site at St Augustine's on Monastrey Street (see this map). These venues are on the south-east side of the city at the other end of the High Street from Westgate and Canterbury West station (which now has the highspeed rail link to/from London St Pancras).
The King's School site,
We have a stimulating, entertaining and varied programme of events which are outlined in the Programme for Canterbury Marlowe Day 2015 below. A Faustian morning starts with Charlie Dupré presenting 'Faustus Remixed' assisted by Stephanie Robinson, before actors Alex Reynolds and Katie Turner discuss their experiences performing Doctor Faustus with Dr. Joanna Labon from the School of English at the University of Kent. After lunch, Dr Geoff Doel from Canterbury Christ Church University introduces his company of Kentish Mummers, before the day is rounded off by Andrew Dawson, Creative Projects Director at The Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury, outlining their future plans for Shakespeare and Marlowe.
Canterbury Marlowe Day: Saturday 30th May 2015
- 10:00 - Wreath-Laying
- Assemble at St George's Church Tower on St George's Street (see map) for the traditional wreath-laying ceremony at 10am; thereafter a short walk to the King's School site at St Augustine's on Monastrey Street (see map), our venue for the rest of the day.
- 10:30 - Chairman's Welcome at St Augustine's.
- Chairman of the Marlowe Society, George Metcalfe, welcomes members, friends and guests.
- 10:35 - Faustus Remixed
- Charlie Dupré assisted by Stephanie Robinson present 'Faustus Remixed' and other delights.
- 11:30 - Break
- Coffee and biscuits.
- 12:00 - Faustus in Performance
- Dr. Joanna Labon interviews Alex Reynolds and Katie Turner about their experiences performing Doctor Faustus as part of Marlowe450 in Canterbury last year.
- 13:00 - Buffet Lunch
- Including a free glass of wine.
- 14:00 - Kentish Mummers
- Dr Geoff Doel introduces his company of Mummers and they perform plays from Kentish custom.
- 15:00 - The Marlowe Theatre
- Andrew Dawson, Creative Projects Director at The Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury, discusses future plans for Shakespeare and Marlowe productions.
- 16:00 approx - Tea & Farewells
- Tea will be served.