We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of our website visitors; this policy sets out how we will treat your personal information.
1. What information do we collect?
We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal data:
- information that you provide to us for the purpose of registering to join the Marlowe Society (including your name, address, e-mail address, telephone contact number, and any data pertinent to your membership type e.g. college attended);
- information that you provide to us when ordering back issues of the Marlowe Society Newsletter or Research Journal (including your name, delivery address, contact e-mail address, and telephone contact number);
- information about your computer, and about your visits to, and use of, this website, such as your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of page views;
- any other information that you choose to send to us.
2. We do not collect any personal financial information.
We do not collect any personal financial information through the Marlowe Society website.
A cookie is a text file sent by a web server to a web browser, and stored by the browser. The text file is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser.
Cookies are used on this website for the following purposes:
- to record that a Marlowe Society website visitor has displayed or followed a sponsored link from one of our Reading List pages to either the Amazon.co.uk or AbeBooks.co.uk websites, or:
- has used the search forms provided on our site to search for an item at the Amazon.co.uk or AbeBooks.co.uk websites.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. For example, in Internet Explorer you can refuse all cookies by clicking "Tools", "Internet Options", "Privacy", and selecting "Block all cookies" using the sliding selector. This will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites.
4. Using your personal data
We may use the personal information collected about Marlowe Society members to:
- fulfill our obligations as part of your Marlowe Society membership, including sending out your 'joining pack', sending you the two Society Newsletters published in the year, and contacting you when your membership renewal is imminent or overdue.
- send to you Marlowe Society publications ordered via the website;
- send you information through the post or by e-mail relating to the Marlowe Society, its events, other events that we believe might be of interest to our members, or to notify you of items of interest that have been published on our website. You can inform us at any time if you no longer wish to receive such communications by .
We will not disclose or provide your personal information to any third parties for the purpose of direct marketing under any circumstances. Where third parties contact us requesting to advertise events or products that we believe will be of interest to our members, we will ask them to supply advertising material which the Marlowe Society will then distribute to its members.
5. Other disclosures
- to the extent that we are required to do so by law;
- in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings;
- in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk).
6. Security of your personal data
We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
We do not store any of the personal information that you provide to us on our website servers or any other computer accessible via the internet.
Personal information submitted as part of online membership registration, or when ordering a Society publication back issue, is handled via the Formmail script. The script manages the submission of this data to our web server, which is then emailed to the appropriate Marlowe Society committee members.
Of course, data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
If you have any concerns about submitting personal information over the internet, we have provided blank forms (both for joining the society, and for ordering Newsletter and Research Journal back issues) which can be downloaded, printed, filled in and posted to the relevant Marlowe Society contact address as detailed on the form.
7. Policy amendments
8. Your rights
You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you. Provision of such information may be subject to the payment of a fee.
You may at any time to stop sending the information identified in item 4(c) above.
9. Third party websites
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
10. Updating information
Please if the personal information which we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated.